Sunday, April 15, 2012

Great weekend

The weekend started by Tanya picking me up and taking the family to eat at Tacos Erendira.   I must say that these are some of the best tacos I've tasted in my life.   I've eaten here at least a dozen times and they keep getting better and better.   This place will be missed by Tanya and I when we move to our next location.

Afterwards we went to the Field Museum.   We let Valentina run around in the children's play area before visiting the mummy exhibit.   This exhibit was a complete letdown.  It was one hallway long and had about 8 displays.   Tanya and I could not believe they make visitors pay extra to see this exhibit.  It should be included in the museum's permanent collection.   Major disappointment.

We then stopped at Redbox and rented Hugo for the evening.  Tanya and I did not enjoy this movie.   It probably is a lot better to watch in 3D and on an Imax.

On Saturday I took the family to a farmer's market in Evanston.   This market is still indoors and a lot smaller than it would be outside.  We bought 3 different salsas that I look forward to tasting in the near future.   There were some animals there that Valentina got to see.

We then went to the family day at the Chicago Contemporary Art museum.   At this event we got to do all sorts of activities.   The various activities took place on all 4 levels of the museum.  The problem I had is that on display were all sorts of art pieces definitely not suitable for kids or me for that matter.   Some of the art was quite disturbing and I won't even go into the video I saw there, yikes!   Besides that it was a nice event and good way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Afterwards we used my gift certificate to the Red Lobster and called it a day.

On Sunday I took the family to visit the Chicago Comic Book Expo.   I have always wanted to visit one of these expos since I hear so much about them on the Internet.  I must say that it lived up to expectations and was really able to feel the passion of comic book enthusiasts.   Tanya and I really enjoyed seeing all the people in costumes.   I think that Valentina was a little scared but managed to stay calm during the event.   Daniel slept through the whole thing.

I then took the family to eat lunch at Los Comales.   This is another great Chicago taco joint but we mainly come here for the tortas.    We then headed off to do our shopping for the week.   We are very tired and are enjoying the rest of the weekend at home.

Tanya entering the farmer's market 

Valentina looking at some rabbits at the Farmer's market

Supporting local vendors 

Leaving the market with some fresh salsa

Valentina enjoying the day and scenery 

Walking to the Contemporary Art Museum 

Station 1-making a kite 

Tanya showing everyone how it is done 

Valentina not getting her way

'
Valentina making a mess with the kite string 

Valentina and I making cloud art 

Tanya taking over 

Daniel sleeping through all the noise 

Valentina trying to make sense of modern art 

Valentina and I in one of the questionable rooms 

Valentina going nuts with modern art

Valentina like the colors

Tanya trying to make sense of it all 

Leaving the museum-note the wire hanger 

Better shot of the wire hanger

Trying to make the kite work 

It works!!


Daniel still sleeping

Only wakes up to be fed--it's a good life

Red Lobster goodness

Tanya likes her sampler


Daniel laying next to me while I eat 

Valentina plays on my phone while we eat...thank you Steve Jobs

Tanya entering the comic fair

Meeting a storm trooper

Valentina and I posing for the new Avenger's movie 

La familia 

Street artist 

Sean Austin 

Valentina watching a bubble performer 

Tanya with the Joker 

Tanya and Valentina in a Star Wars set 

Valentina, Alice and I 

Daniel, Spiderman and I 

Tanya with Johnny Depp and Co. 

Daniel, sexy storm trooper and I 

Tanya with Daniel 

Tanya with Naty getting some Dim Sum 

Jose Luis with Valentina 


Waiting for our tacos at Tacos Enrendira 


So good 


Walking to the Field Museum 

Feeding time 

Valentina hiding from everyone 

Daniel and I in the main hall at the Field Museum 



Valentina playing with her brother 


Everyone is tired from a long weekend 

Valentina watching the bubble show at the Comic Expo

Valentina singing at Red Lobster

Tanya trying to make her kite fly at the Contemporary Art Museum 



No comments:

Post a Comment