Sunday, February 12, 2012

China

I just returned from my first visit to China.   The primary purpose of this trip was a one week training course for the CLS program.   I also did have the chance to see a bit of Shanghai.  

This city is booming.  Not only in population growth but culturally, financially and in every other facet of modern society.  I had the great fortune of having  a local friend, Shelly, show me and some friends around her city.   I really enjoyed my time here and the opportunity to learn about this fascinating culture.   It is amazing how perceptions can be so affected by simply going and experiencing a people in their own country.  In the end they want what every American wants, a good life with the ability to make their own decisions for themselves and families.   Something that I take for granted.

I plan to return to visit the Great Wall, Beijing and the other amazing sites in China.

Starting the trip at the American Airlines lounge

American Airlines lounge 

This was a mall that was nothing but a food court next to my hotel 

My room

The lobby of my hotel 

Shelly taking me out to dinner

Place we went to eat Bi Feng Tang

Chinese mushrooms

The plate on the left is chicken feet

This was my favorite dish of the evening, dumplings.

This was pork 

View of the restaurant 

Walking through a new "European" section of Shanghai 

The Polanco of Shanghai

This area of China is called, "The New World" and it certainly feels different than what you would think of Shanghai and China 

Cool looking streets 

Enjoying the evening...even after being on a plane for 14 hours! 

There was a band (far at the end) that played American 70s, 80s and 90s music...quite entertaining

Shelley and I enjoying the evening

Salud! 

Shelley took me to a salsa club for the evening.   It was a great first night in Shanghai. 

Street food, this is pigeon. 

Entering the metro stop near the hotel

Shelley is taking me and some friends on a city tour

Great friends make the day even better 

Shelly showing me tea sold in pop machines 

Great day with some great people!

Standing in front of the Pearl Tower 

Sally and I enjoying the day

Amazing growth in China...25 years ago this was farmland! 

Hooters has arrived in China!!! 

Great friends 

View of the Haungpu River 

Another view of the river 

Life is good 


Famous hotel 



Sally showing off the city 

Having some coffee to warm up

Real bubble tea!! 

Guy cooking street food on a motorcycle

Not sure what he is selling

Still growing and expanding 

Walking towards the ferry

Chinese fast food 

Chinese people enjoying their day 

Boiled egg that is dipped in tea....errrr not so good 

Taking the ferry across the river 

Entering the west side of the city 

Walking the Bund

Good looking group from 4 different country's! 

Amazing day! 



What a lucky guy I am!  

Sally enjoying the view!


Ricardo pointing the way 



Great looking pair of ladies

Another famous hotel 


This is how people "traditionally" read newspapers

Apple has arrived



Sally on the subway


A bit crowded 


Interesting way of opening up a Pepsi can 

Chinese food....for real 


Dumplings...this is the best meal I had in China 

Illegal movie store

Looks pretty good to me 

Awesome shopping district! 

Shelley showing us the map of the area 

Winding down the day

This store lets you write a letter to yourself and they will mail it many years later.   They can hold the card for you up to 30 years!!!!

Jellyfish for sale

Walking up to a storefront.   These stores used to be people's homes. 

Simply awesome place to visit! 

Ladies enjoying the day 

Two good looking latinos


Front door of a former residence 

Going to our dinner during the Lantern festival 

The city looked great for this festival.   The following photos are more scenes of this celebration.  






Amazing place and time to be here





























Friends at a club the last night in Shanghai

Having a great night out 

Walking around the People's Square after a great meal

Walking the streets of Shanghai during the Chinese New Year

Doing some shopping with friends 


Enjoying a great meal 


Walking the streets of Shanghai


Walking through the new downtown



Trying to get money out of an ATM is no easy task in China

No comments:

Post a Comment